AccueilFAQS'enregistrerConnexion

Partagez | 

Cours d'anglais

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas 
AuteurMessage
Jess

MessageSujet: Cours d'anglais   Mar 26 Sep - 5:42

Hey !

I've got a question. For the first time in my life I am giving english lessons.
This is going to be my second lesson, during the first one I did the present and the present perfect (because the student I have was going to have a test on that in his next english lesson at school).

But thing is I don't really know what to do next. Do I continue with the tenses or do I try something different ?

Thanks for your advice !

Jess
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
Doudou

MessageSujet: Re: Cours d'anglais   Mar 26 Sep - 15:19

What's up, Jess !

Are you teaching British or American English ? I ask because in American English, the two most used tenses are the PRESENT and the PRETERITE (passé simple). As you know, the rest of the so-called tenses are formed with auxiliaries.

Since your student is bound by his/her classroom curriculum, your lessons will be pretty much decided by the homework and tests given to the student by the teacher.

I also have a student (from Colombia). At the present time, I've been teaching her how to answer and ask questions in English.

First I taught her how to answer questions (short answer and long answer) because it's easier. Now I'm teaching her how to ask questions, which is decidedly more difficult.

You could probably build your lessons around the material in your student's classroom textbook, if he/she has one.

I have much more to say, but I'll wait until you contact me again. Bon courage.

Ed
Jess

MessageSujet: Re: Cours d'anglais   Mar 3 Oct - 11:01

Hey !

When I said I had done the present and present perfect it wasn't exactly true. What I did was the present and the prétérit. For the second lesson I tried to use his knowledge of the past to talk about his past holydays and so on. But I was pretty unlucky because for his holidays he stays at home and does pretty much nothing, he celebrates his birthday with his parents only and receives money as birthday presents.
After that I had some difficulty making him talk !

Today's lesson will revising the preterit one last time to be sure he's got it. I am then going to start the present perfect by doing for and since.

Apart from grammar exercices I've done a text that was given at the brevet. He found that a bit hard and it's true it wasn't that simple. Do you know where I can find short and simple texts that could interest a 14 year old boy ?

My problem with teaching grammar is that I myself don't understand a thing to it. It really is all greek to me !
So when I look at his textbook I usualy don't understand a thing...

So what do you think of what I've done up until now ? For the english I teach I try to keep it to British english because that's what he's supposed to learn but I like telling him what it would be in american english.
Talking about the States : I spent 10 days in New-York in september, it was really great ! I had my mom showing me around and really had lots of fun !!!!

Seeya !
Jess
Doudou

MessageSujet: Re: Cours d'anglais   Mar 3 Oct - 11:52

Hey, Jess.

Your plan to teach and practice the present perfect with for and since sounds like a great idea.

Since you didn't have much success using his birthday and holiday experiences to practice the past tense, why not use more immediate past experiences:

- Did you eat breakfast (lunch, supper, dinner, dessert)? (Answer: Yes, I did. :: No, I didn't)
- What did you eat for breakfast (lunch, supper, dinner, dessert)?
- Did you watch television yesterday?
etc.

Then have your student ask you the same questions.

The idea is to give a lot of varied practice.

Here are some online sites for young people. If you search each site very carefully, you'll find everything you need to help your young student:

http://yahooligans.yahoo.com/
http://eleaston.com
http://www.easyenglish.com/
http://anglaisfacile.com
http://www.edict.com.hk/vlc/

You didn't tell me much about your visit to NYC. I'd be very interested to read about your experiences. Did you get to speak any English?

Feel free to ask me any questions about English grammar or any other topic relating to English.

Bon courage et bonne réussite !

Ed

Jess

MessageSujet: Re: Cours d'anglais   Mar 10 Oct - 14:38

Hey !

So we did for and since last time and I thought it didn't go that great because even I kept getting mixed up while explaining which one he should use !
This time we really started the present perfect and I thought he did pretty well because he got most of the exercices on present perfect/past simple good.

I'll try the exercise with the questions next time that way it will get him to speak a bit more then he does now.

Thanks for the sites : yahooligan was a good surprise because I used to use it myself a couple of years back and I had completely forgotten it ! The problem with some of the other sites is that the texts they give are either to difficult or not really suited for a 14 year old. I can't really see myself doing Bible stories with him (but that's my french side...).

I don't know what I am going to do with him next week but I have a week ahead of me to decide !

About NY : so I spent 10 days there with my mom. I spoke a lot of english but that was because I went there with my mom and she's american and I forced her to speak to me only in english.
Other then that on several occasions we saw friends of hers whitch made me talk quite a lot.
For the things we did, well we went to see a radio play (that was tons of fun !), we also went to see the MOMA, we tried twice to get to see the Connan O'Brian show but failed twice (my mom was pretty annoyed !). I also went to visit the UN and we had a go at stand up comedy at the Comedy cellar whitch was nice. We also went to see an improv match and a baseball game ! The days when we were a bit tired (which wasn't often) we had a stroll in Central park. Oh yes and we also had a visit of the city with a Big Apple Greater and went to the Brazilian and West Indies parades.
I think I didn't forget anything... of yes sorry, I also went to see two conferences on 9/11 at Pace University.

So you can see it was a busy ten days, to add to that we went shopping a bit and of course we ate ons of great food (I had my first pastrami sandwitch !).
Doudou

MessageSujet: Re: Cours d'anglais   Mar 10 Oct - 19:26

Yeah, you sure did have a time in my city. You've been to places I haven't even been to. So you're bilingual. That's good. At least your 14-year-old student has a good model for English. I didn't see any Bible lessons in the sites I gave you. I realize some of the practice presented on these sites can be difficult; but there's enough variety to cover almost any topic you might want to teach your student at a given time. You can even use the practice exercises for your own benefit.

The use of since and for isn't all that difficult. Here's why...

Since is used with very specifically defined time periods:

I've lived here since 1995.
I've been working here since last year.
She's been teaching since the beginning of last month.
They've been waiting since 3 o'clock this morning.

For is used with less well-defined time periods:

I've lived here for 11 years.
I've been working here for a year.
She's been teaching for a month.
They've been waiting for 5 hours.

Tu piges ?

It's very similar to the use of depuis and pendant.

Later, 'tater. (That means, See ya later, potato)
Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: Cours d'anglais   

Cours d'anglais
Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut 
Page 1 sur 1